Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"He Is My Dad!"

Footprints

"Walk a little slower, Daddy,"
said a child so small.
"I'm following in your footsteps
and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower,
Daddy, For I must follow you."
~ Author Unknown

    My dad has always been this incredible man! I, along with so many I know, have spent our life looking up to and following his guidance. He has lived his life by God's Word and has shown so many, what diligence and trust in God can do for your life. He truly has spent his life trying to live a selfless, humble, faithful, dedicated, forgiving, loving life; a life God would rejoice over.

    He has always been my hero, role model, friend, mentor, but most importantly my father. I look up to him on a daily basis. He has truly taught me what trust and perseverance can bring you...a life full of success.

    Two years ago my dad felt in his heart that after 27 years as a pastor, God was calling him in a different direction. He had completed the work God needed him to as a pastor and it was now time for him to follow His lead in a different direction. Not knowing what would come from giving up a job he loved so dearly, he obediently followed God's request.

    On Saturday May 5th, 2012, after years of hard, agonizing, exhausting education, I was so proud to watch my father walk across the Point Loma Nazarene University stage to receive his Master of Arts (Special Education) diploma. It was such a proud moment. He has shown me, I will always have reasons to look up to him and goals to strive for to be half the person he is. He truly is the most amazing man I know, and I am so proud of his accomplishments, and most of all so proud to say, "he is my dad!"

My dad standing tall, heading on to stage to begin the ceremonies.

The campus was beautiful. It was breathtaking to look out over the ocean while watching my dad accomplish something so significant.

My dad was asked to do the Invocation, so he proudly sat on the stage for the entire ceremony. (He is 2nd from the far left of the stage in between two women)

What an honor it was to watch him pray over hundreds that were just about to begin their careers.

I am so proud my kids were able to watch their grandpa receive his diploma. They both look up to him and I know this moment will be a huge example for them in their life.

My dad had a big cheering squad! I have to share this because I'm a pretty proud mama. My son Evan, who just turned 6, was getting a little antsy after the first hour of the ceremonies. He asked if I would let him take pictures with my big camera, I said sure. To my amazement the boy can take photos. He took a picture of each individual person that came, and you would never know it wasn't a picture from an adult. Maybe I will have a child follow in my footsteps! This is one of his many pictures.

My dad would not be able to accomplish everything he has been able to without his biggest supporter and cheerleader, my mom!

He wouldn't be who he is today without the love and support of his mom!

My sister and I would not be as successful in life had he not been such an example to us of how we should live our lives!

Without my dad's exemplary footprints my family would probably not exist.

My dad's cheering squad:
    his mother, his wife, two daughters, son in law, grand kids, one of his sisters and her husband,
    and his good friends.

CONGRATULATIONS DAD! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jessica G. said...

Congrats to your dad! What an accomplishment! I always thought of your dad as a pretty darn cool guy. And I think it is amazing that he stepped out, went back to school and is following his dreams. What an inspiration.